Thursday, June 23, 2011

Go to College, Get Married, Have a Baby, Check.


The other night I watched this really awful television show (which will remain nameless so no one out there tries to do the same to prove me wrong) but during one episode the high-strung-cheerleader-blonde-popular woman, now 6 years out of high school and married had a breakdown. During the breakdown she mentioned that her husband fit her list and that's why she married him. She remarked, "I was so busy worrying that he didn't love me I never stopped to ask myself if I loved him."

And though the show was rather terrible, I feel that point highlights many people's lives.

Why do we do the things we do?

Why do we get married?

Have children?

Go to college?

Etc.

Just because it's on our list? How did it make it to the list to begin with?

Many people seem to be on auto-pilot, routinely going through each day, being "successful" how they imagine everyone else wants them to be.

But can auto-pilot ever be considered living?

My new job is working in social media/writing blogs for a non-profit that helps women touched with cancer become mothers. This organization obviously has a heart and exists to truly try to help people. But what I've noticed while tweeting daily, is that there are so many people out there desperate to have children. I mean, they will go to whatever lengths possible. And I wonder if they're doing it because it's on their list?

Have they stopped to question why they want a child to begin with or are they just doing it because they think it will "complete" their lives as proper human beings?

Ryan has some theories as to why people have children and they are not very nice theories, so I won't go there. But I will state that Al Gore isn't that far off, not everyone needs to reproduce.

And it's okay if you don't want to.

It's also okay if you do, but one should ask, "Is this whatI really want? "Will it truly fulfill me as a human or am I doing it to check it off my list?"

No one should enter this world just because someone wrote down "have a baby" in a planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment