Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feminists Need More than an Hour.

Tonight is the second CO Feminist Creative Alliance's almost-monthly happy hour. Since graduating from DePaul with a MA in Women and Gender Studies and moving to Boulder my experiences with feminism have been interesting to say the least.

(Barbara Kruger)

It was pretty jarring to step out of the theoretical and into reality. People don't really seem to like other people who over-analyze everything with a feminist underpinning. But they grit their teeth and they bare it. Or they just don't hang out with me any more.

I will not apologize for wanting a less oppressed world.

But every time I meet someone who has a glimmer of feminism (or full fledge feminist leanings) I get really excited. Once, at a party, this guy started talking about riot grrrl and I almost peed my pants, granted I had had plenty to drink (and he had too) but still it was magical.

But the other day, I was at this vegan thing and this guy said to me (unknowing obviously that I had a freaking degree in it) "I just don't get the feminist thing."

I just don't get the asshole thing.

Could you explain to me why you hate women?

Why you love animals but want people to stay oppressed?

That makes sense.

Not.

Anyhoo. My time outside of the classroom has been eye-opening. It's weird to not have very many people around that have my back. Like before when we'd all go out for drinks after a theory class and some dude would google-gaggle-gaga us (I don't know what they call it these days) or someone would say something super offensive in front of us all, we'd always speak up and support each other as we attempted to deconstruct mainstream behavior.

Which is one of the reasons why I think it's important we feminist unite around here (and everywhere), network and create a place for dialogue etc. We need to support each other through these bipolar times (I'm sure there's a better word for it).

We all have stories, we've all been in awkward situations, it's nice to know there are others out here in this big ole world who believe in the same ideas, have the same ideals, want to and will try to change the world.


1 comment:

  1. Wrath-evoking: "Google-gaggle-gaga" (since I am from "those" days), and sincere: "Respect"! :-)

    ReplyDelete