Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Humane Slaughter? Sounds Like an Oxymoron.


The other night I watched the movie, Temple Grandin, which is about her life with autism, school, and cows, basically.

She actually lives and works up the road in Fort Collins, at CSU, which I thought was a fun fact considering I had never heard about her until I saw the movie.

She only eats yogurt and jello, yet she loves cows.

She says, "If we're going to eat them we should do it respectably." Because we can.

Which I believe is one of the biggest complaints coming from vegetarians and vegans, like myself.

Of course, most vegetarian/vegans do not believe in the killing of animals at all, but personally if it's going to happen it should happen as compassionately as possible.

I almost wrote humane--but the root of that is human--and I don't think humans really treat each other or other creatures all that well. Which is why it often takes someone who can look at the world in a unique way to find methods to actually improve it.

Yes, it's probably going to take a long time for people to stop slaughtering cows (and other animals) but through education, empathy, and energy to create change it's possible.

In the meantime people who do eat meat should consider (well, stopping ha!) but also making sure that the living creatures who died to be on their plates died in as respectable a manner as possible.

(Just like veges should make sure their fruits and such are grown and picked in a respectable manner.)

Because we're all connected on this little tiny planet called Earth and I believe we should treat each other accordingly.

To the best of our individual abilities.

Progress not perfection.

Also, if you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it!

Here's the actual Temple Grandin (Not Claire Danes).


2 comments:

  1. I am not a pure vegetarian, but I can give up my few and far between meat eating habit if someone really wants me to. But even being an infrequent meat-eater, I would be a hypocrite if I start parroting the same line as those who justify the slaughter of animals as "respectfully done". I do not think that taking away a life can be respectful at all, no matter what. Now if it were the last option available, and if one takes all the precautions to reduce the suffering, then sure, I would agree, but otherwise, if I am killing an animal to eat it, I have no right to claim any respect towards it, because there is none! My 2 cents on it - even though I would be vastly outnumbered by those that try to put a humane and respectful wrapper their non-vegetarian habits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting how she cared so much about the cows that she wanted to help them have a better ending, that she wanted them to be treated better even though she knew once they were at the slaughterhouse they would soon be killed.

    Obviously vegans don't believe in "happy" meat. And you're right about it not being respectful, ever--so perhaps that's the wrong word choice. In the movie she parallels national geographic scenes to human cow eating--knowing that people are going to eat it, but knowing that we, as humans, don't have to be so "savage" and mean about it.

    I no longer eat meat which is one reason I found the movie fascinating; she was doing all this work in the 70's-80's and yet the industry hasn't seemed to really improve. Cows still have terrible lives and worse deaths.

    So it's good (the movie) because it creates dialogue. A way for us to work collectively on figuring out the best way for us to all live harmoniously.

    I really don't have any answers. But I believe in discussing it openly and honestly. And maybe through that we can find how to be respectful (and maybe find a way for more of us to not have to kill for our food anymore???) IDK.

    ReplyDelete