Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Giving Up is Cheesy... I mean Easy.

For awhile I didn't think I could last on a vegan diet. And along the way I've definitely ate un-vegan a few times, for example a few weekends ago I was drunk and starving so we ordered some food from a drive-thru (which will go un-named) and that food had cheese in it. This may have been the second or third time I've drunkenly ate cheese and each time it has made me feel gross.

Cheese feels like a brick in my stomach. Or hardening concrete.
For me (and many other people) it's the most difficult to resist, the melty oozing creamy goodness. But taste and feel are two different things.

How many college kids take gross shots because they know it will make them feel good on the inside?

Well it's the exact opposite with cheese. It tastes good initially but it doesn't make my body feel good, even for a little while.

It's the hardest to give up because it's in and on everything, but really it can be done.

Lately I've been going through my Vegan cookbooks and I've made several new concoctions.

Eggless "egg" salad
Lasagna Spirals (you roll instead of layer)
Mac and "Cheese"
Hot Tamale Pie
and Oatmeal raisin cookies to name just a few.

I wasn't really impressed with the "egg" salad but I think it's because I've never really liked mayo or egg salad to begin with, the texture is surprisingly similar if you are a fan and want to give it a whirl. (this isn't the exact recipe I used, but it's close, click here for it).

All the other recipes were really good though. And I don't feel nearly as guilty when I eat the cookies since they don't have any eggs, butter, or granulated sugar.

My favorite new recipe though is from the book Vegan with a Vengeance (or the website Post Punk Kitchen, same thing) Tempeh Sausage Crumbles. I make it then I mix it in with country style potatoes, sometimes I add peppers, onions, black bean, whatever my hungry heart desires.
I could eat it everyday it's so yummy.


Anyhoo I've been slowly adjusting both my body and my mind.

I still struggle when I go out and when I go out and get drunk; but with trial and error I will soon be completely transformed!

muhahaha
muhahaha

I look forward to hosting a vegan brunch or potluck soon (so I can prove how good that tempeh sausage really is!)




1 comment:

  1. I have the same "drinking" problem! lol all of my slips have been under the influence.

    ReplyDelete