Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Another conspiracy (media) theory




We’re often influenced to think that being creative or artistic takes some sort of quirky mentality. For example, I often imagined that the only way to be a good writer was to be suicidal like Plath or alcoholic like, well, pretty much every other writer that doesn’t literally kill themselves.


Same with visual artists. Most of them seem to be completely crazy. Chopping off ears or actually being manic depressant.


All of these “quirks” are just traits that the media portrays in an attempt to separate YOU from creativity. To make you think you’re too normal to ever be able to write a novel or paint the next masterpiece or cook the most delicious ginger glazed tofu.


So many of us, (me included) grow up imagining this binary, where either you’re an artist with major issues but amazing projects, or you’re “normal” yet boring. (Or you’re “normal” but you really “appreciate” art.)


Fuck. That.


You don’t have to be crazy to be creative. You don’t have to be normal to be boring. You don’t have to die by 32 just to be considered talented.


I just need to keep doing what I like and I need to stop watching "based on a true story" movies or I may end up thinking I'd be better off leaving my creativity for a cubicle. Which would be the worst idea ever, since the cubicle is one of the most evil places on earth. How could anyone ever feel that they belonged there instead of behind their own work?



1 comment:

  1. Thank you; everyone can be creative and you don't need to be nuts to do so!! :)

    ReplyDelete