Sunday, February 27, 2011

Writer, You are Not Alone. But You Knew That Already, Didn't You?


I am not having a good day and it continues as I eat the most disgusting apple I have ever had in my life. How can trees (and/or people) mess up organic apples? It tastes like it was dipped in poison and then thrown in the sewer. Organic, ha! It's about as organic as my pink hair.

So I know I've written a few negative-esque blogs recently and I would love to snap out of it, but it's going to take a day or two. I went and heard a literary agent speak at the Boulder Book Store today and besides it being filled with the overwhelming smell of Avon body powder (as there were older women everywhere), it was depressing.

Last year the agent received a total of 36,000 query letters, from that 36,000 she read about 2,000 30-page samples, from there she read 98 entire manuscripts. Nine were selected for representation. Five were sold.

Five.

Five out of 36,000.

Okay, so I don't write sci-fi, or romance, or teen lit; but I'm guessing that the numbers aren't that different in any other genre.

Obviously if one goes to a bookstore it's apparent that more than 5 books get published a year, but still, so many people in the world are trying. I don't want this to be a "hobby," if I wanted it to be a hobby I never would have gotten a degree in it. Yet I feel it would be beneficial for me to go back and get the degree all over again. Or maybe I should just add another one from a different field to the pile since I can't get a job anyway. Ha!

I wish I wouldn't have went to the talk at all. It really didn't help me like I thought it might. Also seeing all those old people there was not inspiring--it made me realize how long it could actually take, ah!

Now I have to read Bird by Bird again just to become re-inspired.

Also must find fruit that doesn't taste like it was used as toilet paper.

Promise to be more positive tomorrow. :) (see I'm already starting with that smiley face)

No comments:

Post a Comment