Monday, March 29, 2010

Old-"Lady"-Farts

In our generation women have staying power. Many women who were popular in the 60s, 70s, 80s are still around and because of there insistence to not fade away from the limelight they have brought with them a new concept of aging and “growing older”. I find it interesting because it seems like this may be the first time in history that older women have saturated the media to this extent—Barbara Walters, Oprah Winfrey, Yoko Ono, Meryl Streep, Whoopie Goldberg, Rosie O’Donnell, Madonna, Cher, Kathy Griffin, the list goes on and on. I have to admit that I am thrilled to see my mother’s and my grandmother’s generation of women hold their ground. And I am thrilled that so many older women are speaking out about the aging process, they are creating a safe space for the future generations. We can enter our 30s, 40s, 50s calmer, less worried about wrinkles, less upset about gravity taking a toll on our bodies because we see so many brave women before us enter each growing year with stride.


But I do not want to get carried away. Many of these women are relying on beauty regiments that I feel are going to cause major health problems in their futures. And I should probably be honest and admit that one of the major reasons many of these women “get” to stick around is because they don’t actually LOOK old. Botox and cosmetic surgery, special lighting, great make-up artists etc. have been able to distort many older women in the media to look like they’re 30. Almost none of them look like they’re beyond 40. So maybe they’re “cheating” a little bit. That’s their deal. If that’s what they need to do to stay in the game, fine. Their choice.


I just hope that they help open the door to better acceptance of older woman in general so that when our generation does enter menopause etc. we can do it the natural way and no one will throw us out the door because of our graying hair.


I don’t have an issue with “old”. All of us, living and breathing on this planet are “aging” it is not something that starts happening at 40. I personally have enjoyed growing with these women. It’s been a pleasure watching Madonna in A League of Her Own and then seeing her just the other day on The Marriage Ref. I love knowing the Yoko is still rocking. That Barbara is still talking. That Meryl can play the romantic lead.


It just goes to show that with age comes wisdom and though I am definitely not old enough to be considered wise what I have learned through my time here on earth is that it is important to slow down. One should stop and enjoy the day, each day, each moment. Because each day can bring joy and with joy comes youthfulness no matter how “old” you are, no matter how long you’ve been “aging”.



No comments:

Post a Comment