Thursday, January 13, 2011

9 out of 10 People are Totally and Completely Disgusting.

Tuesday night we went to the Catacombs for trivia. The guy who reads the questions is also the guy who has to tally all the answers at the end of the rounds. That being said, it takes awhile. So, while we waited he told the teams to write a joke on the back of the sheet for the next round, whoever had the funniest joke would win drink tickets.

Yes, I know we're at a bar and I am aware people at bars tell lewd jokes. But the winning joke: 9 out of 10 people think gang rape is funny, was seriously voted for by like 9 out of 10 people at the bar.

Everyone who was not sitting at my table thinks gang rape is funny.

What. the. fuck.

Then a woman yelled, "gang rape, wins every time." Followed by a walloping laugh.

Am I missing something?

According to RAINN statistics every 2 minutes someone is sexually assaulted. That means, in the time we were playing trivia 90 people were assaulted in some way.

90 people.

Pardon me for having the sense not to find this humorous.

I don't think this is a topic that should be taken lightly.

But I also have no idea how to handle a situation like this when it happens. I am in such shock at the absurdity I can never believe it's actually occurring. What would have been the best way to handle it when everyone in the bar would have been against me?

1) Go up, steal the mic and tell them all what pieces of shit they are.
2) Leave (though no one would have understood or cared why).
3) Take them all down at trivia and show them how smart people do it (attempted but failed).
4) Punch the nearest rapist in the face.
5) Yell.
I have no clue. We should have gotten training for how to survive the real world as feminists. Theory is great and all, but it really doesn't help in these situations.

All I know is 9 out of 10 people have no clue and it really really bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment