Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Motherhood in the Media


If any of you scholarly feminists out there in the world have not already thought of it I would find it fascinating to read a researched essay on these current media representations of motherhood. I find it especially interesting how in vintro fertilization is making it into plot lines (J-Lo’s new film The Back-up Plan), as well mother-carriers in the film Baby Mama staring Tina Fey as a woman who has Amy Poehler’s character carry her child for her (lots of layers of class and gender issues happening here). Not to mention all the reality tv shows and news incidents *thinking* octamom and Kate from Jon and Kate Plus 8, etc.


All I’m saying is that I would be interested in reading a feminist analysis of these media representations. I’m not interested in writing it because to be quite honest, motherhood is not my forte, in fact, motherhood generally just freaks me out, specifically the actual physical release of a child into this world. I really do not think I’ll ever be able to get over the fear of a large object being pushed out of my vagina. I am aware that millions of women have done it before but that does not necessarily mean that I need to or that I should. Just because I possess the capabilities to achieve or accomplish certain things does not mean I need to do them all.


This fact does not prevent me from wanting to hear the latest news on the subject. Because when it comes down to it, motherhood keeps the human world going round. And media shines a particular light, a light that should always be analyzed, deconstructed, and understood for its deeper implications and impact on how our society composes itself.


So readers, if any of you take on this subject or have taken on this subject already, please email me over your work, I’d love to read your take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment