Friday, August 28, 2009

Homeless Hamperings


I have to be completely honest here. I may be the only one of this opinion, but I am offended and slightly perturbed at homeless men and their sexism. I don not understand why they are being picky about who they’re getting their money from, but they seem to not care to get it from women. For example, every time I am walking with Ryan down any street in the city these are the three sentences we hear from homeless men:


1) Sir, can you spare some change.

2) Excuse me, sir, change?

2) Change, sir?


It makes no difference what side I am to Ryan or whether he is ahead of behind me. Homeless men assume that women have no extra money to throw away. I don’t know how to take this. In one way it makes me think that they’re just trying to be respectful, but in another way I assume they think of me lower than men and incapable of making my own money and deciding on my own free will what I want to do with it. I know these men have a strategy surrounding where they locate themselves and who they target, but does it hurt to ask everyone all they’re going to do is deny or hand something over.


I know it’s heartless and probably a bit egotistical for me to be offended by homeless men, but they’re the ones sitting around on every street I walk by reinforcing the patriarchy and the system that helped get them there in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment