Sunday, November 29, 2009

100 (or so) words on: Jesus




First, I don’t believe in institutional religion of any kind. In fact, I don’t believe in institutions of any kind. Yes, I know they exist, but I do not support them. I find them patriarchical, militaristic and thus, oppressive. Also, I must admit, I have not read the bible in its entirety. I think it’s because it’s so popular. I don’t like conforming. Plus, there are just so many other books in the world to read. Why read a book that is supposed to represent “loving thy neighbor” when it hypocritically has caused so many wars, deaths and destruction. People who truly believe in the “word” of Jesus would look for peace; would hold hands and sing “All you Need is Love.” But whenever these issues come up all I want to do is sing Patti Smith and return to the world of cynicism.


Patti Smith: “Gloria”

Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine
Meltin' in a pot of thieves
Wild card up my sleeve
Thick heart of stone
My sins my own
They belong to me, me

People say 'beware!'
But I don't care
The words are just
Rules and regulations to me, me

No comments:

Post a Comment